The Swan was the second of the Bankside theatres. It was located at Paris Garden, west of Blackfriars Bridge. It was in use from 1595 and possibly staged some of the plays of William Shakespeare.
The Swan's location near Paris Garden stairs made it convenient for those crossing by river wherry from the City. It was opened by Francis Langley, probably due to the success of Philip Henslowe’s Rose very nearby. It continued to stage plays until its closure in about 1628 though far less is known about the playhouse than the Rose or the Globe.
Read more about this location...
At the Swan on the 6th of November 1602 a certain Richard Vennar was meant to put on a play entitled England's Joy. However, in actuality Vennar disappeared with the takings from the crowd and it appears he had never intended to put on any kind of play on that day, by that title or any other.
- Francis Langley 11/1595 - 01/1602
- Hugh Browker 01/1602 - 1606
- Pembroke's Players 1597 - ?
- Lady Elizabeth's Players 1613 - ?