Whitefriars was an indoor theatre for the boy-players. Located at the old monastery site, this theatre was clearly designed to rival the Blackfriars and staged plays from 1609 to 1613.

Philip Rossiter opened this indoor theatre to the south of Fleet Street in the City of Westminster, when the boy company which could no longer play at Blackfriars was moved here (the King's Revels Children). Like Blackfriars before the arrival of the King's Men, therefore, Whitefriars was aimed at a well-to-do fee paying audience unlike the larger outdoor playhouses from this period.

Read more about this location...

Known owners

  • Philip Rossiter 1609 - 1613

Known occupants

  • King's Revels Children 1609 - 1609
  • Children of the Queen's Revels 1609 - 1613
  • Lady Elizabeth's Players 1613 - 1613

Marston's The Insatiate Countess (Courtesy of the V&A)

Click here for more images...


Bouverie St/Temple Lane, off Fleet Street



National Grid Reference

531370 181063


From the junction of Fleet Street and Bouverie Street walk down Bouverie Street to the junction with Temple Lane on the right. The Whitefriars theatre lay in an east-west position at the top of Temple Lane.