The Curtain was the neighbour of the Theatre and one of the first theatres in London.
It was built around 100 metres south of James Burbage’s Theatre in Shoreditch and was run by Henry Lanman at one point. The name ‘Curtain’ is not linked to stage curtains, but related to the name of the walled pasture in which the playhouse was built. It ran from 1577 until 1625 and staged some of the plays of William Shakespeare from 1597 to 1599.
- Henry Lanman 1577 - 1592
- Queen's Men Dates unknown
- Chamberlain's Men 1597 - 1599
- Queen Anna's Men 1603 - 1605
- Prince Charles's Men 1613 - ?
- Prince Charles's Men (2) 1622 - ?